Thu, 2 Mar 1995 12:39:42 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Barnes
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 1995 05:32:07 -0500 SHIRLEY VARMETTE - SOCIOLOGY said:
> >I'd like to add to this comment about lists vs newsgroups.  Some, like mine,
> >have developed out of newsgroups.  Even within the "hobby" field and dog
> >related lists probably fit there, these lists are specialized.
> >
> >There were at least five such lists at Ga Tech alone.  Obviously some
will die.
> >It probably would have happened anyway.  But, they develop because the
> >newsgroups were not working for them.
>

> I dunno.  I think they would work as Usenet groups, it's just that
> mailing lists are so much easier to create than Usenet groups.
>
> Usenet and mailing lists serve similar, but not identical purposes.
> There is alot of crossover (and I expect that the crossover will
> increase as time goes on).

newsgroups. Yes, the idea is the same. However, each has a different purpose.
Usenet groups tend to turn into a town-hall, general "free for all" on their
given topic. It's extremely difficult to remain focused on the topics/issues.

While the lists provide an opportunity for people (who might not have access to
Usenet!) to communicate via email. It's much more personal and things appear,
at least on my list, to be LESS out of control and off topic.

Another reason is that it's just too easy to join a newsgroup, cause a "ruckus"
and leave! With a mailing list, people have to actively subscribe. If they
cause problems, the list owner can remove them.

Our list considered changing into a newsgroup. We dropped that idea once many
subscribers said that they only have email access to the Internet.

So, our list will remain a list. People have even gone so far against a
newsgroup as to volunteer to forward mail for the entire list! (That's 27+
messages per day for 100+ people!) These people are SERIOUS about NOT turning
into a Usenet group! :-)  Thankfully, so am I. :-)

--

Perrine

Co-owner of Corgi-L -- Discussion list for Welsh Corgi owners (Pembroke &
Cardigan)