James Morrill <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:16:51 -0600
I guess I'm not reading this the same way.  If AOL wants people to buy
a "stamp" to get their e-mail delivered to their customers, the only
people that hurts is their customers.  Their customers are the ones
losing the information from the rest of us.  If I want to buy the stamp
to send my e-mail to their customer (like that will happen! :-) I can
choose to do that.  We do that all the time with paper mail.

It seems like this will make my job a whole lot easier. Instead of
telling my people "yeah, I'll spend hours and hours trying to get AOL to
accept e-mail from us, again" I can just say "AOL has decided that you
have to buy a stamp to send e-mail to their customers, do you want to
do that or find some other way to communicate with your friends
there?".  Since I doubt we will ever get in the business of selling
those stamps, this seems like this will encourage people who want to
communicate with us to leave AOL in a hurry.

Of course, coming from an educational institution, communicating with
AOL customers isn't a high priority of mine anyway.

--
 James Morrill  office: HL 11, 785-532-4909   www-personal.ksu.edu/~james

   Our peculiar security is in the possession of a written Constitution.
   Let us not make it a blank paper by construction. --Thomas Jefferson