Richard W Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Apr 1993 12:37:55 EDT
Someone handed me a couple of messages on this mailing list about
Listserv charging at MSU. We do not charge for Listserv at MSU. We do
charge for disk space for all users. For Listserv lists we assign the
minidisk to an account owned by the user. We do not charge for reading
lists, or for the CPU time associated with Listserv activity.  Even
Listserv lists with a lot of noise don't take much disk space; I know of
no user here who has complained about how burdensome this setup is.
We're talking a few dollars a month for a large list. There is also a
one-time $10 setup fee for assigning a vanity ID.

I do not understand Dave Gomberg's suggestion about charging for reading
lists. It would not be useful to start an extended discussion re our rate
schedule; however I think the system is perfectly reasonable in that it
charges back for real consumables (disk space). Like most universities,
we have a computing advisory committee structure that addresses issues
such as our rate schedule and the services we provide.  That structure
is the mechanism for members of the MSU community to give input on
our rates and services.  This does not strike me as an issue that is
germane to this mailing list.

We would be glad to host additional Listserv lists. However, long term
membership in Bitnet is not guaranteed, and I suggest that folks with
large Listserv lists who want a stable home seek a site that is willing
and able to make that sort of commitment.

/Rich Wiggins, Manager, Central Systems Svces, Michigan State U