Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:57:35 -0500
On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 18:53:36 EST, Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> If all goes well, everyone here at Temple will have an LDAP directory
> entry. I would like to see the "add" command be able to read addresses
> from that directory based on the value of a key, such as a course
> reference number. This way, students in a particular course could easily
> be added to each course instructors' Listserv list through an automated
> process. Does this make sense?

Odd.. We didnt wait for Listserv to support it (since you *know* that
every site will have their own LDAP schema to represent classes, etc).

I just took the lcmdx.c code, and bashed it into supporting the 'bulk add'
interface.  Somebody else's code does an extract from a database to get
all the students registered for a class, and I just slam them in.

Professor authenticates to our course-support listserver via https and
some other magic, is presented with a list of courses that he is the
instructor of record, and clicks a button "Yes, I want a mailing list
for that class".  We build a header, add the list, bulk-load it - all
behind the scenes, with only the current functionality provided by
Listserv.

No, I can't release the code - a lot is site-specific, and some is just
so ugly I'm ashamed of it (for instance, there's one particularly
nasty bug I'll fix when I'm fed up hearing about it - it managed to
pop about 3-4 times this semester while the add-a-list rush was on).
And it's implementation of HTTP persistent connections is about as
brain-dead as it gets (not only does it not do them, it manages to
fail to do them in a suboptimal way).  It's all of 700 lines of C,
of which 200 was stolen from lcmdx.c, and the rest is just ugly
HTTP handling...

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech