"F. Scott Ophof" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Jul 1993 10:15:20 -0400
On 18 Jul 1993 16:54:28 GMT Tansin A. Darcos & Company said:
>ET> A number  of people  privately asked  me for  more information
>  > about the commercialization  of LISTSERV,  and some  expressed
>  > their  concern about what would happen if they suddenly had to
>  > pay to keep using the software.
>Hmm, most of these places had to pay for the computers they
>have, the electricity they use and the salaries of the people
>they hire.  Yet they seem to think that *you* aren't entitled
>to make money off of the efforts of your ability.

Huh?  How can you extract that from what Eric wrote?

>If you will permit me to do so, of all the people who have used
>your program, *I* for one will say thank you for your efforts.

I second that show of thanks.
There are over 1M subscribers to some LISTSERV list out there, most
of whom seem to take LISTSERV so for granted that they don't even
notice its existance.  In *itself* quite a show of appreciation.
Also that the word LISTSERV *is* used as generic for quite different
MLMs, even by those who (should) know better.  And that many people
automatically expect LISTSERV behaviour from some MLM, even when
they *know* it's not a LISTSERV.

>ET> L-Soft is very interested in cooperative  agreements where we
>  > would provide software  at a high discount rate, or even free,
>  > but would receive something useful in exchange.

Like computer time, (use of) hard/software, free/cut-rate airfares,
etc.?

>ET> Finally, I thought that you would want to know what
>  > L-Soft plans to do with this money.
>Eric, I am very surprised at you.  And, as a typical American,
>I'll be crude about it and point out that you should be proud
>to realize that's nobody else's goddamn business how much money
>you make selling things or what percentage of profit you make.

Huh?  Eric didn't say anything re those matters.  Not in that item,
nor in any other I've seen!  On what do you base your surprise?
All I can see here is that Eric tells us what some of his intentions
are.  And I very much appreciate that!  Not to mention the subjects
themselves.

All in all Eric, I applaud the steps you've taken re LISTSERV, and
won't for even a second feel any concern about milking of clients.
Heck, just the thought caused me to laugh!  :-)))

A TCP/IP TELL? would be great!  People who haven't used TELL (or the
VMS equiv) just can't seem to feel what the concept really means to
us who have to miss it outside BITnet.
Do you have any idea how much I would appreciate a TCP/IP TELL (and
CHAT)?

Regards!
$$\