Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 May 2002 12:29:22 -0400
On Mon, 13 May 2002, Bill Verity wrote:

> 1. Set up list for one semester.  After the semester is over, we delete
> the lists and archives after reminding the owners that we are doing it.

We never delete a class list.  Once created, it belongs to the department
and is co-owned with the instructor by the department course co-ordinator.
The course co-ordinator is responsible for changing list owners in a new
Term or Semester or the current instructor can do it.  We only delete
course lists if we are told that the course will never be taught again.

We provide an opt-in process for yearly archive deletion or instructors
can delete archives themselves via a web form.

> How do other schools handle this task?  I'm curious whether you put the
> semester and year in the name - SP02-ANTHY100-2.

No.  Only one list is created per course (and one per course section) and
the list is used in each term or semester the course is offered. So, MATH
112 would be MATH112-L and sections are designated by letters, so section
A of MATH 112 would be, MATH112A-L.

If we included year and semester info, we would be creating new lists
every term/semester.

> Do you offer to populate the lists?  If so, do you keep them up to date
> as drop/adds occur.

No.  We provide a web form so instructors can update their courses as they
need to with the authentication provided through listserv.

-- Trish
Trish Forrest, ITS, Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario