"David Rosenthal, D.O." <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:39:41 -0400
I have a subscriber to a ListServ (TM) email list that he is receiving
in MIME DIGEST mode.

He is reading mail on his Blackberry 8830, Blackberry OS is 4.2.1 using
the Verizon software.

Right now, the Blackberry gives only “unsupported media type in header”
for each digest that comes out to that list. The message views just fine
when he uses Outlook to read the same message, and the MIME headers are
properly formatted.

The problem arises when the multipart/digest MIME type contains
multipart/alternative messages (which contain text/plain and text/html
parts themselves). It seems as though the RIM/Verizon software simply
cannot properly parse the MIME headers.

Similar problems have been reported for multipart/mixed messages which
contain multipart/alternative parts.
<http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/60358-unable-view-message-when-receiving-attachment-gmail-user.html>
It seems that the blackberry does not know what to do with the
multipart/mixed MIME type. It shows it as an attachment but since
there's no viewer for that attachment type, it is unviewable.

I don't have a Blackberry to do any testing. Can you advise:

1) Have others (with ListServ 15.0) reported problems reading the
multipart/alternative messages in DIGEST MIME messages using a Blackberry?

2) Is there a work around for these message types using a Blackberry?
Does RIM have any plans to fix this bug?

(I have already emailed this issue to [log in to unmask] to see if they had
any suggestions, no answer yet)

--
David Rosenthal, D.O.
Shamash Project Coordinator http://shamash.org/