Sun, 6 Aug 2000 10:20:27 -0400
Thanks Daniel and Trish for your interestings ideas regarding subscribing
students to their respective Listserv lists. I had not considered just
creating one list per course, but its certainly easy enough for me to
implement. A couple of issues come to mind about that. How do you name
each list? We keep track of our individual courses with four key identifiers.
The primary identifier is an 8 digit course reference number. Each course
has a unique course reference number and this number changes each semester
for each course. Each course also has associated with it a title or subject
line that briefly identifies the content of the course, a course number (e.g.,
CIS 55), and a section number.

I am thinking that I should simply create a new list for each semester
per course and name them using the course number and section number. We
do not track instructors' email addresses so I cannot automatically assign
ownership of each list to the appropriate instructor so I am thinking of
assigning ownership of each of these lists to both the manager of our
computer services help desk AND the general helpdesk email address. This
way when an instructor contacts the help desk to request a Listserv list,
all the consultant has to do is verify the identity of the instructor and
get his or her email address, then use the web interface to add that
instructor's email address as an owner of the list.

What I would also like to do is set up a separate subdirectory under
~listserv/home for each semester, such as fall2000, summer1, spring2001,
and so on and keep the list's and their archived postings in those directores
so that I can easily archive and delete them at the end of each semester.
Right now, all of our lists' *.list files go in ~listserv/home and their
archived postings go in another directory not within ~listserv's file system,
but that's owned by Listserv. Since each of our courses has a unique ref
number that changes each semester, I figure its easier (and cheaper on
disk space) to just delete each semester's set of course related lists and
create new ones starting a few days prior to the start of the comining
semester. Does this sound reasonable?