Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Oct 1994 00:21:15 +0100
On Fri, 14  Oct 1994 15:52:08 CDT  Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>I have a  question that may or  may not really belong on  this list. The
>Listserv on  our VM machine  has grown to the  point where it  can quite
>easily bog the  entire machine down (in truth, it's  not really Listserv
>that is doing it, anything generating  the same volume of tcp/ip traffic
>would do it too).
>
>What we'ld  like to do  is put up a  second Listserv on  another machine
>(proabably a large  unix box) and split  the load between the  2 but not
>confuse the user's too much by have 2 different addresses.

The solution L-Soft  recommends in cases like yours is  to keep the lists
on the VM system, but use a  workstation running LISTSERV for the bulk of
the SMTP deliveries (via DISTRIBUTE). You essentially tell your VM system
to route the traffic to the workstation LISTSERV. It sends one job to the
workstation,  which does  the actual  delivery.  You can  of course  also
create lists on the workstation, but you don't have to.

>2) would we have to pay for  the second Listserv? Full price? What would
>    it cost?

The price  depends on what you  want to do  exactly. If you just  want to
migrate  the traffic  and not  the  lists, you  can buy  a 5pt  graduated
license which  costs on the order  of $500/year, depending on  the brand.
This is arguably a hole in the graduated licensing algorithm, but we hope
and assume that people pay mostly for the functions provided by LISTSERV,
and that the  ability to implement LISTSERV services  in a cost-effective
fashion is  part of the benefits  one expects to receive  from commercial
software. So  we essentially  consider the unix  server as  a "DISTRIBUTE
satellite", licensed at a token charge.

  Eric