Tue, 22 May 90 11:59:07 EDT
I hate posting general information requests to a list, especially as my
first posting to a list, but I've looked everywhere I can think of and
I can't find the answers, and I refuse to bother Eric directly, so here
goes.

Our facility, the David Rittenhouse Computing Facility of the University
of Pennsylvania, has received several requests from our user community
for mailing list services.  The most logical answer to these requests
would seem to be the installation of a LISTSERV at one of our BITNET
nodes, either PENNSAS or PENNDRLS.  In order to make a decision as to
whether or not to install this product, we would like information on (1)
cost of obtaining the software, (2) approximate amount of staff time
required to install it (3) approximate amount of staff time required to
maintain it, and (4) approximate maginitude of the computing resources
it consumes (PENNSAS is an IBM 4341 L2 and PENNDRLS is an IBM
3090-200E).  Obviously I can't be certain of getting the answers to any
but the first question.  I'm hoping someone will be able to send me
the answer to that first question (and information on how to go about
getting the software should we decide to go ahead), and pointers to
people or lists where I might be able to gather information that will
enable me to take a guess at the remaining questions.  In any case,
thanks for whatever help you can provide.  And thanks to Eric for
all the work he has done on LISTSERV, regardless of whether or not we
decide we can afford to install it.

-- R. David Murray    ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])

P.S.:  I find it somewhat distressing that I could not find a discussion
of LISTSERV liscencing procedures, not even a mention of who to talk
to, when LISTSERV is the premier information distrabution
tool on BITNET!  I found a one liner in INFO GENINTRO that made me think
I should talk to my regional listserv coordinator, whose name I had
noticed earlier in INFO COORD, but he has not replied and its been 10
days.  I tried LDBASE on the notebooks for this list, figuring someone
must have asked this question here before, but I couldn't figure out
how to phrase the request (SEARCH ORDER AND LISTSERV gave 192 hits,
and a random sampling of those were not relevant).  Did I miss something
obvious?  (Yes, I know, I'll eventually be sending mail to Eric.  But
I don't want to bother him until I absolutely have to.)