Mon, 23 Oct 89 09:19:43 CDT
Another big step toward interoperability with the Internet would
be a host requirements document similar to RFC 1123 that
describes a number of required software systems and the
specifications of such systems. I know that this appears on the
surface to be somewhat fascist on the part of the NIC, but in the
interest of interoperability something like this needs to be
done.

One thing I would insist be on this BRFC (BITNET RFC) would be a
RFC822-conversant MTA. The software is available at no/minimal
cost for all the major OS types on the net, and most of the minor
OS' as well.

Any others?

(BTW, why not register .BIT.NET and use the MX scheme Michael
Gettes described? It'd be a minimal change in semantics but bring
us into closer conformance with the Internet folks. It *is*
fudging .NET a bit...oh, well.)