"Christopher M. Condon" <BITLIB@YALEVMX>
Wed, 18 Mar 87 21:58:00 EST

Please excuse my posting this here, but...

The COMSOC-L list is an ARPA Digest that is distibuted by the Listserv at
BYUADMIN.  The list moderator has messages sent to his ARPA address, and he
redistrutes by sending one copy to COMSOC-L@BYUADMIN, where it is sent to the
BITNET subscribers.  No problem.  We all understand this sort of thing.

Someone, I don't recall who (and I purged the letter when I got it),
mistakenly sent a SUB command by mail to COMSOC-L rather than to the Listserv.
The letter was dutilifully fowarded to all 77 BITNET subscribers.  People did
not understand the significance of this, and began REPLYing to it with
complaints and "Why are you asking me for a subscription?" messages.  I
attempted to explain what was going on and that I would get someone to fix it,
so somebody PLEASE set send=owner (or something like that) for the list!
I don't know exactly how you go about it, but I know there is a fix so that
only one person can send to a list.

Are the other ARPA digests set up this way?  I hope not...
                                                          Chris