Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:10:27 -0500
At 10:48 AM 8/16/2004 -0700, Randy Klumph wrote:
>The following error has been showing up in my LSMTP log.
>
>23:40:10 mail.OPTUSNET.COM.AU( 12) <<< RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
>23:40:10 mail.OPTUSNET.COM.AU( 12) >>> 554 5.7.1 Rejected
>140.211.116.119 is a dynamic IP

Yep, or so DNS implies:

 > 119.116.211.140.in-addr.arpa
Server:  adsl-67-36-130-61.dsl.ipltin.ameritech.net
Address:  67.36.130.61

Non-authoritative answer:
119.116.211.140.in-addr.arpa    name = dyn-116-119.wou.edu

116.211.140.in-addr.arpa        nameserver = gilligan.wou.edu
116.211.140.in-addr.arpa        nameserver = ns1.nero.net
ns1.nero.net    internet address = 207.98.65.2

>1st - LISTSERV is not configured to use the IP address indicated

Are you SURE?  The remote host is saying that that's where the mail is
coming from.  In general reverse lookups don't lie, and apparently the
remote host is using a dynamic IP blacklist that includes either this
address specifically or a range that happens to include this address.  FWIW
when i telnet to port 25 of 140.211.116.119, concretely I get

220 tr.wou.edu (LSMTP for Windows NT v1.1b) ESMTP server ready

Note that we're really talking about LSMTP here, not LISTSERV, and unless
you have LSMTP set to bind to a specific IP, it will use the first
available IP on the machine.  See below for instructions on how to force
the binding to a single IP.

>2nd - it is not a dynamic IP, but we do have multiple IPs on a single
>box (including this one).

Are you SURE that the IP in question is not one of the ones assigned to the
box?  If it is, you either need to remove it from the machine or change how
it is listed in DNS.  Right now it looks dynamic to me.

You can bind LSMTP to one IP address, using the following instructions:

1. Open the \LSMTP\config.dat file in Notepad or another plain text editor
(be sure it's a plain text editor; Microsoft Word or even Wordpad are not
recommended here).

2. Add the following line at the bottom of the file:

LocalIPAddress=1.2.3.4

(obviously you enter the correct IP that LSMTP should be 'listening' on)

3. Save the file.

4. Open a DOS box and CD into the LSMTP directory.  Issue the following
command at the DOS prompt:

LSCP RELOAD CONFIG

At this point LSMTP should be listening only on the IP you specified in step 2.

To change the port, use the same procedure as above, but the variable to add is

SmtpListenerPort=xxx

where xxx is the number of the port you want LSMTP to listen on, for instance,

SmtpListenerPort=10025

You can add both values to the file at the same time if you want; you don't
have to do this in two separate operations.

Nathan