Gabe Wachob <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:30:12 -0500
Here's the situation (still running 1.8c):

listserv box -> outgoing relay machine -> INTERNET
(qmail)         (sendmail 8.9.3)

The outgoing relay machine is set as the SMTP_FORWARD machine.

When there is a permanent mail delivery failure (ie no user, no domain, etc)
for a user confirmation mail (ie asking them to confirm a subscription, for
example -- this seems to be the only type), the message is bounced to the
POSTMASTER of the RELAY (sendmail) machine.

Shouldn't the mail be returned to the sender (ie the listserv@ the qmail
box?) As postmaster of the relay box, I'm really getting tired of getting 30
bounced mails every hour from some person who sends mail with a malformed
FROM header.

I *think* this is because listserv sends out the notification emails with a
Null From Header. (ie From:<>) Is this true? (I know this is true for
outgoing error messages -- but these are outgoing confirmation requests, not
error messages).

This seems like broken functionality to me -- the email is coming from the
listserv, so why isn't it setting the From header to listserv@ the qmail
server?

Whats wierd is that it *appears* (have to confirm) that NON-FATAL delivery
status notification emails are properly routed back to listserv@ the qmail
machine.

Does that data point point to anything?

TIA