Damon Green <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:18:22 +0100
I have just migrated our live server to the OCI version of Listserv. Rather
than do a full compile etc. I firstly tried copying over lsv with the
already compiled version I have on my development box, changing the go.user
(it's a Solaris system) setting tnsnames.ora yadda yadda yadda.

To my surprise it worked a treat. I'm surprised because the Oracle libraries
are in a different place on the live system, I assume therefore that these
libraries are built into lsv at compile time, anyone know ?

I'm wondering if there is a problem with updating this way ? I'm now using a
collection of files from 3 different builds of Listserv, what with the 2000a
debacle.

The main reason for all of this move to OCI version is to enable us to
integrate website user information and listserv as part of a CRM project
(Buzzword Bingo anyone ?) a side of things I'm surprised Lsoft hasn't been
pushing harder. Being able to send a targeted mail to those users who like
gardening, and were born in July, then substitute the text to include their
name and when they last visited the site in full Technicolor HTML etc. etc.
(dependent on subscriber settings of course...) is fantastic.

Of course getting it all to work and understanding what the hell it's up to
was no walk in the park....

Damon Green
Webmaster - beeb.com.