"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Oct 1990 18:21:30 SET
On Tue, 30 Oct 1990 18:08:08 IST Zvika Bar-Deroma said:
>This may sound trivial but I'll risk  it: what is the benefit of PEERing
>in the  days of DIST2 ?  I'm a bit confused  and have my own  ideas, but
>would like to make sure I know what's going on.

a) While distribution via DIST is  very efficient the contribution has to
   go the long way. With peers you can have a host near you.
b) In  case some  line is  clogged or otherwise  down the  discussion can
   still go on in the "sub-areas".
c) If you want archives and/or FILELISTs I think you're better off having
   them in more than one place on the net.
d) Having peers  means smaller lists and less resource  consumption  on a
   certain host for both distributing and list-management.
Well, just a few thoughts on the subject ...

Christian