Valdis Kletnieks <VALDIS@CLVM>
Wed, 27 Jul 88 14:38:05 EDT
Recently, I had cause to play with the Link Monitor that Eric wrote for
Listserv.  I wanted it to monitor a remote link, using the 'via=' keyword.

Eric was quite helpful, and found both a problem with my SYSVARS file
(I had failed to copy the RSCS V2 parse patterns into the link concerned)
and a problem with a local RSCS mod (we don't have the 'FROM' on the front).

So I go, information in hand, to go and modify the code in LSV$LMRN EXEC.
I put in my one line change to deal with the RSCS mod.

Blammo. Listserv dies about 3 lines later with 'clause exceeds 500
characters'.  Fumble with it for several hours, finally bagging it and
restoring the old one from tape.

Put the old one back, and all becomes clear.  Seems the LRECL is like 397,
and I had a WIDTH 255 in PROFILE XEDIT defined for Rexx execs.

Doesn't Rexx allow a ',' at the end of a line to continue long lines?

I post this to the list, rather than just Eric, so others are aware of
the potential problems.

Of the 118 EXECS on Listserv's 191, 90 have lrecl's greater than 80,
32 are lrecl 200+, and 5 are lrecl 300+.

                                  Valdis