Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:16:21 -0500
Paul,

According to CataList, you are running the 1.8e version from May
2002. Here are the improvements that have been made since then that
might help your performance. In particular, TUNE_MANY_LISTS was not
added till December 2002 and has seen many improvements over
subsequent releases. In other words, the TUNE_MANY_LISTS you have
currently in your go.user is a no-op.

Version 14.1 (1.8e 2002a, December 2002):
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/relnotes/v18e-2002a.html

    Enhancements for the HPO version:

    A number of changes were made to the LISTSERV HPO code in the
    1.8e-2002a level set to accelerate web and catalog scan operations
    and alleviate slowing problems seen by some very large LISTSERV
    sites.

    HPO sites with "many" lists can implement the changes by installing
    the 1.8e-2002a level set and adding a new site configuration
    variable, TUNE_MANY_LISTS, to their site configuration.  The new
    variable is a binary value, and should be set to 1 in order to
    enable the functionality.

    Note carefully that there is no fixed threshold for the number of
    lists at which the implementation of these fixes becomes necessary.
    This makes LISTSERV work faster at the expense of memory.  If you
    have 100 lists, you definitely will not need it.  If you have 1000,
    you probably do. Anything in between would be up to you.

Version 14.2 (1.8e 2003a)
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/relnotes/LISTSERV14.3-Release-Notes.html

    PERFORMANCE: Miscellaneous improvements

    Where practical, routines have been tightened and performance
    improved.  Specific improvements include:

    For HPO only, reverse indexing of attachments has been improved by
    an enhancement that better recognizes Base64, uuencode, and MIME
    boundaries.  This change is not retroactive; reindexing will be
    required if reverse indexing is already enabled (ie, DBRINDEX=1).
    To force reindexing, simply delete listname.DBRINDEX wherever found,
    and the reverse index will be rebuilt at the next search of the
    list's archives.

    Also for HPO only, performance issues that arise when changelogs get
    very large have been addressed.

Version 14.3:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/relnotes/LISTSERV14.3-Release-Notes.html

    Home page background rebuild. When you change a site-wide template,
    either L-Soft’s or your own, and list home pages depend on this
    template (even indirectly), LISTSERV automatically senses it and
    rebuilds all home pages for you. If you have LISTSERV-HPO, it does
    it in the background, letting other LISTSERV commands and tasks take
    precedence.

    Performance enhancement. Version 14.3 includes significant
    performance enhancements to the web interface, and in particular the
    Subscriber’s Corner, for sites with thousands of lists, as well as
    the TUNE_MANY_LISTS configuration option for LISTSERV-HPO, which can
    dramatically improve performance for sites with tens of thousands of
    lists.

Version 14.4:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/relnotes/LISTSERV14.4-Release-Notes.html

    Background List Maintenance: Expanding on the background home page
    rebuild introduced in 14.3, most list maintenance tasks can be
    configured to take place in the background with LISTSERV HPO,
    dramatically increasing availability during busy periods for servers
    with thousands of lists.

    [HPO] Performance improvements for sites with many lists
    Available in LISTSERV HPO only

    The TUNE_MANY_LISTS site configuration parameter was released in
    LISTSERV 14.1 to provide significant improvements for sites with
    many lists and large amounts of physical memory. LISTSERV 14.4 adds
    additional improvements for sites with many lists. Some of these are
    always active in LISTSERV HPO but are further improved by setting
    TUNE_MANY_LISTS to 1. Others are only activated when TUNE_MANY_LISTS
    is set to 1.

    The main performance improvements for LISTSERV HPO 14.4 are:

    - LISTSERV startup is faster.

    - Web page rebuild is performed in the background and now gives
    precedence to incoming mail messages (in 14.3 only Web interface
    requests had precedence). This rebuild has been accelerated for
    sites with many lists.

    - Daily auto-delete reports and subscription renewals are generated
    in the background when TUNE_MANY_LISTS is set.

    General hardware tuning tips for sites with many lists:

    Your best improvement is to put enough RAM in the server and
    configure the operating system to cache files aggressively, so that
    all the list files end up being in the system file cache. For
    Windows and Linux, this happens automatically if there is enough
    RAM. Once LISTSERV has accessed all the list files at startup, all
    the data will be in RAM and immediately available.

    The faster the drive's access time (not transfer rate), the faster
    LISTSERV will be able to operate. This is regardless of whether or
    not you have a RAID. If the cost of putting all LISTSERV files on a
    faster drive is prohibitive, put LISTSERV's main directory on a fast
    drive and the archives on a slower, higher-capacity drive.

Basically, the TUNE_MANY_LISTS parameter has been getting better and
better with each new release, and more and more startup stuff is
being done in the background.

I would have to dig through my emails to find exactly when the
Solaris bug that I mentioned earlier was found and killed, but if my
memory serves me, it was part of the 14.4 changes. IIRC, the bug was
that the background stuff was not being done in the background on
Solaris. Or maybe I'm confused -- I'm going on memory and my memory
is not all that good.

My point is that maybe you should try all the performance
improvements we've already put in LISTSERV over the last 3.5 years
before asking for new ones. And I'm not asking you to "simply throw
the latest release on top of a running production system and hope it
works". Your L-Soft Sales rep can provide you with a test LAK to use
on a non-production instance of LISTSERV for a reasonable testing
period. Use a test server that is disconnected from the network (so
you don't end up sending out emails), restore a backup of your
production server, upgrade it to 14.4, add the TUNE_MANY_LISTS
parameter to your site config, and see how fast it starts up. Note:
don't base it on the first startup after the upgrade, because IIRC,
one of those upgrades required some conversions on the first startup
after upgrade, causing it to take a little longer; the second startup
should go noticeably faster than your current 75 minutes. If it
doesn't, add that DEBUG_TIME_ALL parameter to the site config of your
test server and report the results to Eric.

--
Francoise Becker

What are your favorite LISTSERV(R) announcement lists?
Submit nominations by December 1, 2005
for the LISTSERV Choice Awards Announcement Award
http://www.lsoft.com/news/choiceawards.asp