Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:32:44 +0200
On Fri, 23  Aug 1996 09:08:56 CDT  Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Well, it  seems the  ampersand (&)  is something  that the  mailtpl file
>doesn't recognize (left overs from the old PROFS/SCRIPT days?).

The & introduces a substitution. You get  an & into the text, you have to
type &&.

>Perhaps in  future versions of Listerv,  we can just leave  out the text
>formatting altogether? Imho, it's not needed, and tends to be a bother.

Why don't you  make an experiment and edit DEFAULT  MAILTPL to remove all
the words starting with  an ampersand, then run this way  for a few days.
Then let us know if you still think this isn't needed and is in fact just
a bother.

>Especially in light of the fact that many Listserv's won't be running on
>VM at all....

What on earth does this have to do with VM???

  Eric