"Kaminsky,Matthew" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:32:37 -0400
Just helped a professor with a very weird problem that I've never run into before.  He has an automated script to update the one or two lists he manages which sends all the commands via email with password authentication.  At some point, his password stopped working for the commands sent by the script.  However, the password was still working just fine for logging into the website.  After spending some time working with him trying to figure out what was happening, I had him change his password, and the script has begun to run again just fine once it was updated.

Has anyone else run into a case where the password worked just fine via the web interface but any email attempts kept getting rejected?  We tried several clients just in case it was a glitch with one, and I was even attempting via a direct smtp command line, but the password just kept refusing to work.  The password was He3ietho , and I can't think of any reason why it would fail for email.

Listserv 15.5 with password encryption turned on, linux system.