Richard Hintz <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 25 Aug 1991 15:14:39 PST
Well, this will teach me not to go off to Share without a trained
backup.  In any case, I apologize for problems which sites (and
individuals) may have experienced because of some problems at UCCVMA.

The cause was somewhat instructive, so I will mention it here.  We went
to LPAR mode from physically partitioned mode on our 380J.  A side effect
of this was that our SYSTEM NETID file became invalid because LPAR
renumbers the CPU id.  As a result, RSCS no longer was trusted and about
a zillion mail files were transferred into my reader along with lots (and I
mean *lots* of mailed messages).

People at my site had other things to worry about and didn't notice
that the Listserv/RSCS connection was fried.  I think that things are back to
normal now.  The backlog of files from other sites are cleared, too.

I will respond personally to those who sent me notes which were
unanswered (because I was out all week).  If anyone thinks we are still
screwed up here or just wants to comment on this fiasco, here's where you
can write.

Richard Hintz opsrjh@uccvma  [log in to unmask]
University of California
(humbled) Listserv maintainer for UCCVMA
p.s. Really, we do try to be good network citizens.  Oh well.