"Russell, D (Duncan)" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:46:37 -0000
The list headers have "reply-to= list,ignore" coded in them. When mail sent
to these lists arrives, the from: line does indeed carry the listname by
default.
However if anyone tries to reply in a mail client the To: field becomes the
list title, rather than the list name.

As an example a post from a list called duncan-testing, is displayed as
"from: duncan-testing", but the actual reply-to field and sender field in
the header appears as;
"Sender: Duncans Testing List <[log in to unmask]>"
As such some mail clients tend to display the comment part of these fields
rather than the actual email address that is being replied to.
If using Outlook (I know, bad idea, but it's lab policy, shame), then when
it displays the To: field, you can right click on that field and look at
it's properties, and it is in here that it tells you the actual address
being sent to.

This default can be over-ridden by using;
"reply-to= [log in to unmask]" instead of "list,ignore", which then
does not put the header comment in the original mail, but from what I have
read the site wide configuration option list-address= is supposed to be able
to allow you to set this option as a default for all lists.

I just cannot figure out what should go into this option, I have tried
listname@fqdn, and have tried list-id@fqdn, neither makes any difference.

Help
Cheers
Duncan