Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:34:12 -0500
At 18:32 02/06/2004 Friday, Carol Annis wrote:
 >We have noticed that when users send to multiple distribution lists,
 >listserv strips the to: field and delivers the email with the to: field
 >containing only one email address of the dl.  Here is an example:

[follow-up to: lstown-l]

a subscriber SETable option of IETFHDR will probably do what you want ...
it helped us.

 >**I have sent you two paint attachments of screen shots.  Let me know if you
 >did not get them and I will winzip them and send to you again.
 >
 >Look at original_addressed_email first then
 >email_after_it_has_been_sent
 >
 >As you can see, listserv has stripped off the full to: and replaced it with
 >only one of the three email addresses.  We would like it preserve this full
 >to: addresses so that we know who else has received or this email has been
 >sent to.
 >
 >It there anyway to do this?  Also, can we prevent listserv from stripping
 >off pitzer.edu and replacing with listserv.pitzer.edu?

Even though both will work for your LISTSERV@ service, I highly recommend
that you reduce the dependency of LISTSERV on the @PITZER.EDU style.  In
your case, @PITZER.EDU has four MX hosts that could forward the request;
whereas your LISTSERV.PITZER.EDU has no MX and goes directly to the
IP-attached host.

The fewer processes between the user and the server, the better; the more
ease and flexibility in updating the placement of the server, the better.

Having said that, perhaps instead of LISTSERV.PITZER.EDU, you might
consider LISTS.PITZER.EDU (or some generic variant?).

/Pete Weiss @ Penn State