Tue, 3 Nov 2009 02:49:29 +0100
text/plain (23 lines)
> I also did the following on my site about 6 months ago to solve very
> slow web interfacing.
> 
> Added the DBRINDEX=0 switch to site.cfg per
> 
> http://www.lsoft.com/news/techtipLSV-issue2-2007-us.asp

There are two issues there. One is that with really, really large list archives, you could run into the maximum 2G address space of most 32-bit systems, and probably crash. DBRINDEX=0 is the only realistic solution then. I don't think this is the case here. Solaris is not perfect but it has been using 64-bit mode since the mid-90s or so.

The other problem is that reverse index updates (disabled by DBRINDEX=0) can be slow on lists with very large archives. This also goes away when you set DBRINDEX=0 but at the cost of sluggish archive searches. Overall, DBRINDEX=1 should provide best performance except when you have fast I/O and limited RAM.

> I also needed to break some of the large indexes up into smaller cycles
> from monthly to weekly.

This is a great help on a 32-bit system.

> One thing that slowed my lists down recently was someone sending an
> email with a 10 meg attachment to about 300 people.

This should not slow down LISTSERV itself, it should only hit your SMTP workers. Sorry for asking but if you have been running LISTSERV since the 90s, please make sure you do have SMTP_FORWARD_1 defined. If you only have the legacy SMTP_FORWARD setting and nothing else, all LISTSERV activity is blocked until the outgoing mail queue has cleared and this could indeed be a problem.

Eric

ATOM RSS1 RSS2