"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 23 Mar 89 12:09:20 GMT
Valdis, clearly  the guy who  wrote this sentence is  incompetent. First,
the restriction  has always been there,  from the very first  version. It
was not documented, but it was there.  This is the reason why IBM changed
the userids *ALLOC*, *TEMP* into $ALLOC$, etc. You couldn't even DIRM GET
these. Second, the dash is a valid CMS filename character. So we have two
possibilities: (1) the guy didn't know that new characters had been added
to the original  A-Z 0-9 #$@ set, and the  documentation is incorrect, or
(2)  the guy  didn't  know that  new  characters had  been  added to  the
original set, coded the validation routine accordingly, and we'll have to
fight another Broken As Designed APAR closing.

  Eric