Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 15 Mar 1992 20:12:18 +0100
On Sun, 15 Mar 1992 13:59:53 EST Jerry B Altzman <JAUUS@CUVMB> said:

>Fine then. We DO  run our own listserv. That's not  the point I'm trying
>to make. The only  point I was trying to make is  that leaf sites should
>NOT  just go  and  join  the backbone  without  first  talking to  their
>upstream sites about it.

What difference  does it  make whether the  site is a  leaf site  or not?
ANDESCOL is not a  leaf site, it serves a whole country.  Yet if it joins
the backbone, it may attract some CU traffic. The point you are trying to
make  is that  when  a  prospective backbone  site  has non-backbone  (or
non-LISTSERV) neighbours, it  should talk to them  before joining because
the DISTRIBUTE patterns may change. The  only case when they won't change
to  anyone's  dissatisfaction is  when  the  new  node is  surrounded  by
backbone servers, which almost never happens.

  Eric