Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Sat, 20 Sep 86 14:47:32 CDT
   I also think the idea of redistributing some of the ARPAnet lists on
BITNET/NetNorth/EARN has merit.  However, it may be a big help just to do
this for 3 or 4 lists...  It may big that a large portion of the traffic
is provided by a small number of lists (the old 80 / 20 rule).
   What are the big lists?  I have heard that SF-LOVERS, INFO-IBMPC, and
AILIST.  Maybe a pilot project with an agreeable moderator would be a
good idea.
   I do have one concern.  I think "Eric's" LISTSERV has many good features.
I have had the code for a while.  However, due to other duties I have not
yet put it into production.  As with any software, it takes a while not only
to debug the software but for the software to "mature".  One problem with
the use of the new LISTSERV that Eric has alluded to is the need to be
careful when the lists are set up.  One one list I have been informed that
I have been put on three different hosts in about as many days!  Whats
more, one of these was in Germany and it apparently had trouble handling
the mail as I kept getting two sets of "error mail" for every item on the
list...  Now North Dakota is a bit remote in the US but it is not near
Germany...  :-)
   Anyway, I am sure, knowing Eric's proven talents, that the new LISTSERV
will be a good solid program.  I obviously have a vested interest in
reducing traffic on the CUNYVM-WISCVM link since I connect to WISCVM also,
but BNEnet redistribution would also reduce the gateway load.
         Marty