Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:39:36 -0500
Jeff Dorn wrote:

> >Do you send the mail as a mail merge job? I send HTML mail all the time,
> >but I send it as a mail merge job, which I think requires that you also
> >have LSMTP. If that's the case I can show you how to format it pretty
> >easily.
> >
> >If not, feel free to describe what you're doing and I'd be happy to see
> >what I can tell from that.
>
> No, I'm not sending it as a merge job. Basically, I'm just attaching an
> HTML file, using Microsoft Outlook 2000, and sending it directly to the
> list for distribution. When the attachment arrives in an email client, at
> least in Outlook and some online services, the HTML file opens up fine and
> all the formatting is retained. However, when you look at it in the web
> client, it is presented like what you see here:
>
> http://listserv.access.gpo.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0109&L=gpolistserv-
> discuss&F=&S=&P=2794
>
> >Feel free to send me a test email, too.
>
> I will send you a copy of the attachment separately.
>
> >='s at the end of line sounds like quoted printable encoding. This
> >really shouldn't be screwing up your HTML, though I don't use it,
> >because I assemble a lot of the emails by hand (or with simple scripts),
> >and it's too hard for me to figure out most of the time.
>
> I've heard this several times now, from Lsoft support and another poster
> from this list, Wayne Smith. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any
> way to configure the outlook client differently as far as its handling of
> attachments. Surprise, surprise, right? Well, in any case, the fact that
> the attachment was coming to my mail client fine but screwed up in the web
> archive led me to believe that wa.exe was applying some formatting to the
> HTML. Hopefully my test email to you will tell us something more, unless
> you also use Outlook. I'll try it either way.

Ahhhh, that makes sense now.

Are you unix savvy at all? You could build the email the way you want
with a shell script. Then you wouldn't have to use quoted-printable
encoding, and that would just about solve your troubles.

Or if you have the ability to do mail merge jobs, that'd be just as
good.

The issue is the email program you're sending it from. I'm not sure if
there's any options in any email client to NOT encode HTML a certain
way. Try Eudora or Netscape Communicator, see if you get the same
behavior. Or, try it from a Hotmail account and see how their backend
renders it.

Best,
Al

--
Al Iverson -- [log in to unmask] -- Minneapolis, Minnesota
Support Jazz in Minnesota! -- http://www.mnjazz.com/