Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:54:52 -0600
Sorry, it has been a struggle to the installation kits prepared today.
This is for Windows only. Linux and other OS will be on our regular download
web page along with normal 'automated' binary installation kits on Thursday.

Important points to understand about this procedure:

1.  You need to be comfortable with Windows command line skills.  This is a
very manual process.  This is NOT our normal automated binary installation
kit.  If you do not have the proverbial "Professional driver on a closed
course. Do not try this at home." kind of skill set, then wait for the regular
release kits on Thursday.

2.  You MUST have both a LISTSERV 16.0 Product LAK and a valid/current 16.0
Maintenance (MNT) LAK with an expiration date later than 4/23/2014 to install
this kit.  If you don't have this already in place on your existing, running
LISTSERV, _before_ you start the process below, then LISTSERV will not start
after you apply this update.  Double check you have a proper LAK Pair
_in_place_ first!

If you aren't sure your current LAK is valid, send this command to your
LISTSERV instance:  SHOW LICENSE
Then send the results of that command to L-Soft Support <[log in to unmask]>
and ask for assistance.

If you don't have current maintenance and support, you will need it.  Contact
your L-Soft Sales Representative at <[log in to unmask]>.

-----------------------
Only for Windows: To upgrade to the (latest) DMARC bugfix version of LISTSERV:

   ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/DMARC-intel.zip   (32-bit)
   ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/DMARC-intel-x64.zip   (64-bit)

-Download and place in your x:\LISTSERV directory but do not unzip (yet).

-Stop the LISTSERV (primary instance) service and the LISTSERV SMTP Listener
 service

-Now, unzip the file DMARC-intel....zip file.  Be sure to allow this unzip to
  a) overwrite existing files
  b) use internal paths from the zip file
(the built-in Windows unzip/'extract all' utility does this automatically)

This will install the new version of LISTSERV over the top of your existing
install.

All list files, config files, and data files will be preserved.
 (a prior backup of x:\LISTSERV\MAIN is always a wise precaution)

-If you are using the LISTSERV WWW interface, be sure to manually copy the new
wa.exe (web script cgi) from x:\LISTSERV\MAIN to the proper location in your
Web Server directories.  This location differs in almost every installation so
we cannot predict where it will be.

Common locations for Windows are x:\LISTSERV\WWW\SCRIPTS or
x:\INETPUB\SCRIPTS, but your server may be different.

-Restart the LISTSERV service and restart the SMTP Listener service.

-Send the command (by email or WWW)  SHOW LICENSE (or SHOW VERSION)

-Verify that the last line of the results shows:
  Build Date:   23 Apr 2014

-This all should take you 3 minutes or less.

Although recent versions of Windows support unzip directly (right click,
'extract all'), if you need an unzip utility, you can get one from here:

  ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/unzip.exe

if the sending domain has a DMARC record with p=reject.  There is nothing to
configure, it is done automatically. If additional ISPs decide to implement
the Yahoo nonsense (as AOL did 2 days ago), LISTSERV will automatically detect
it and adjust its behavior accordingly.

2.  If the message comes from a "Yahoo nonsense" domain, LISTSERV rewrites the
"From:" address to '[token][log in to unmask] (see example
below). The poster's full name is left unchanged.  Most mail clients do not
show the actual address, only the name, so most users will not see any obvious
difference.

3.   If a list member decides to send a private reply to the sender (i.e. not
to the list), via the re-written special address, LISTSERV forwards it to the
original "From:" address.  No, this re-write+forward does not open a 'hole'
that would allow spammers to send 'reflected spam' to subscribers through
LISTSERV.  The token is unique to each sender and only works via the same
LISTSERV instance where your list is.

No need for anyone to change their habits and their mail folder filing rules
for incoming mail.

This is what is looks like in the LISTSERV log file:

>21 Apr 2014 12:21:56 Processing mail from [log in to unmask] for BEN2
>21 Apr 2014 12:21:56 "From:" address rewritten due to p=reject DMARC rule
>> Old address: [log in to unmask]
>> New address: [log in to unmask]
(...)
>21 Apr 2014 12:22:36 From [log in to unmask]: X-ADMMAIL [log in to unmask]
>21 Apr 2014 12:22:36 -> Forwarded to [log in to unmask]

4.  Last minute bonus feature:  The original non-re-written address will be
written to the list message archives files.  This makes message threading and
searching just like it was before.

5.  After you have installed this build, you can safely restore message
posting privileges to your *@yahoo.com and *@aol.com subscribers.

  QUIET SET * POST FOR *@yahoo.*
  QUIET SET * POST FOR *@aol.com

Or if you had set them to REVIEW status you can now set them to NOREVIEW.
Of course if they were on REVIEW for mis-behavioral reasons, you will want to
leave them on REVIEW.

Enjoy!