Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Nov 1992 22:44:30 +0100
On Mon, 16 Nov 1992 16:32:32 EST Jim Jones <JIMJ@JHUVM> said:

> You could have the copy of DOMAIN NAMES that LISTSERV@UBVM uses route
> the various domains to different places.  That is, send .COM entries
> to the local SMTP server, send .EDU entries to another server, and
> .GOV someplace else...  Yes, it's gross, but it would divide the 8k+
> recipients into at least a few chunks.

This is  roughly what  some of  the INTERBIT  sites do  to slice  off the
traffic: .EDU goes to  SMTPA, .COM goes to SMTPB, and so  on. As you said
it is gross, but it works.

A more  interesting approach,  given that  LISTSERV never  generates more
than a configurable  amount of RCPT TO:'s on a  given message (by default
500 - it seems  to be the highest most mailers appear  to take), would be
to have  the mailer alternate  between a number  of different hosts  in a
round  robin fashion.  To do  that  it would  of  course have  to be  fed
configuration  statements of  the type  "when sending  mail to  INTERBIT,
alternate between  the following actual  nodeids" which would have  to be
carefully  synchronized with  BITEARN  NODES changes  and absolutely  not
configured once and  then forgotten until one of the  nodeids in question
is deleted  and mail starts bouncing  :-) Unfortunately I can't  think of
any better solution at the moment, given that I would hate to see special
hardcoded statements for  the node INTERBIT (and what  about UUCPGATE and
others then?).

  Eric