Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Jan 1993 16:25:18 +0100
On Thu, 7 Jan 1993 22:31:51 -0600 "Stephen L. Arnold" <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>One suggestion occurred to me that I  didn't see mentioned. If a list is
>changed  back to  Digest=No, it  seems friendlier  to change  any digest
>subscriptions to Mail rather than Nomail.

The problem is  that LISTSERV just does  not do this sort  of things when
you  edit the  header. Many  people (especially  sites with  large lists)
update lists  by logging on  to LISTSERV and  just editing the  LIST file
directly.  Some day  I'll change  the format  of lists  and this  will no
longer  be possible,  but  for now  I  am very  reluctant  to spend  time
implementing things  which would  work only  if you  don't edit  the list
manually - especially if I end up having  to change it a lot with the new
list  format. The  new  format will  be  needed at  some  time to  handle
addresses longer than 80 bytes in the lists.

>Another  route you  could take  would  be to  allow lists  to be  marked
>Digest=Mail,  =Nomail, or  =digestparameters. "Mail"  and "Nomail"  mean
>digests are  not available for  the list, and people  requesting digests
>will get Mail or Nomail, respectively, (and a warning!) instead.

If you requests  a digest and they  are not available, you  get a warning
and your  options are set  to MAIL. The only  "problem" case is  when you
request and get the digests option, and the list owner subsequently turns
off digests.

  Eric