Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 8 Jul 1987 21:04 SET
> In the  1.5j doc,  references are  made to  some manuals  that I  can't find
> (User's Guide, Maintenance  Guide, ...). Also, Appendix A  refers to several
> document numbers which I assume to some of the MEMO files which haven't been
> updated to include  the document. Are the updated versions  available or can
> you tell me if (and which) memo files correspond. Thanks.

There are basically three categories of LISTSERV docs:

1) The 'recent' ones.  They start with a box listing  the document number, CMS
   fileid, creation date, etc. I think there is no problem with these ones.

2) The 'future' ones. They simply don't exist already, but references might be
   made to them in other docs. I don't  want to have to re-scan all the docs I
   have  written when  I complete  a new  manual,  so I  do as  if it  already
   existed. A notable one is LISTFOWN MEMO  which will be very thick when it's
   ready and I thought that LISTINST  (install guide) should be given a higher
   priority. LISTFOWN will be the next one.

3) Docs which do exist but are outdated (ie I haven't had time to convert them
   to SCRIPT format). They don't bear  any document number. They will, as time
   permits, be grouped together to form  various new manuals. For example, the
   application programmers guide will contain LISTDIST and LISTJOB. The user's
   guide will be made of LISTSERV and LISTKEYW MEMO, etc.

Karen:  the maintenance  guide is  LISTMAST MEMO  but it's  severely outdated.
You'd better try to pick as much info  from LISTINST (which is 100% up to date
as all docs bearing the release number  '1.5j') as possible. Note that I might
have distributed docs with an erroneous  release number of '1.6'; these should
be treated  as '1.5h',  I had  just forgotten  a trailing  '.' after  a SCRIPT
variable in  a test. Finally, LISTPRES  MEMO bears the number  1.5f because it
was in fact a copy of Ross Patterson's SHARE presentation of LISTSERV which is
intrinsically not 'update-able' :-)

Those of  you who  have a  laser printer (3812  or 3820  with Sonoran  font or
suchlike,  preferrably  with  the  Pi  and  Specials  font  too)  and  want  a
paper-printable copy of  the docs should contact me. They'll  get two PSEG38PP
(logos) files plus a number of LIST3820  (one per doc). I don't distribute the
huge source SCRIPT files,  except to people who REALLY need  it and BADLY want
it.

Regards, Eric