Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 2 Nov 89 14:39:05 GMT
>Turgut !! Come on  :-) .. If I'm not mistaken LISTSERV  runs on VM/XA in
>370-mode. I could be wrong on that.

Christian, the rest of your analysis is correct but this is unfortunately
not. It is true that LISTSERV runs in  370-mode - if you started it in an
XA machine, it  wouldn't go very far before crashing.  However you should
know  that VM/XA  is  not fully  compatible  with VM/SP,  even  in a  370
machine, and that there are a number of things which had to be changed in
1.6 to solve minor, yet painful, problems. Even in 1.6c I found a problem
with incoming  DISK DUMP files  and had  to write a  fix that will  go in
1.6d. Although 1.5o does start without problem and work "for most things"
under  VM/XA,  there  are  definitely  a number  of  things  that  create
problems.  Turgut should  probably have  looked deeper  into the  problem
before calling it an "XA support problem",  but on the other hand I can't
blame  him for  not  trying to  fix XA-related  problems  since the  EARN
Association  has not  been  able to  provide  him with  access  to an  XA
development machine.

  Eric