"Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Apr 1991 16:45:00 EDT
> Is there a newer version of UPDNODES than 1.3 (May 1987)?

  That's the latest version of UPDNODES stored on BITNIC (for the PASCAL/VS
"official" UPDNODES).

>        9:Old base out of sort order
>        9 was highest error code
>         :UPDNODES Version 1.3-15MAY87 ended
>       UPDNODES error. RC=9.

  I don't know a lot about the specific internal logic of that version.
However, I have done a lot of work on a portable version of UPDNODES. I
think it _might_ indicate an attempt to perform an action on a node that
doesn't exist in the base file, which got the file out of sync.

> Thanks.  I realize my BITEARN NODES is way out of date, and
> I'd really like to update it.  PS-there's plenty of room on my
> disk.

  How old is "way out of date"? The NETSERVs seem to only keep about the
last year's worth of updates. If yours is further back than that and you
don't already have the updates, it might just be best to do a GET on the
file - you're only 2 hops away from [log in to unmask]

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        [log in to unmask]     St. Peter's College, US
        [log in to unmask]    (201) 915-9381