Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:49:35 -0600
At 01:51 PM 8/21/1997 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a new mailing list for which I paid. I had 5o+ member within a few
>days after the announcement was made.
>I introduced myself to the list and explained what the list was all
>about. I explained that I welcome suggestions and recommendations to get
>a good active list.

A list is like a cocktail party.  Some people carry on a conversation, or
two or three at once.  Many just sit around and sip their drinks saying
little or nothing.  Even at a face to face party, it takes someone to get
things started.  And, as listowner, that should be you.  Even if you're an
expert in your list's subject, ask a question, make a controversial
statement, whatever.  Then people will start discussing.  Soon it will be
going regularly.  Same thing is true if you're at a party or dinner with
someone you don't know well.  How should you act, what is ok to talk about,
etc.  You don't want to look stupid or gauche.

>I asked for introductions. Only 4 out of the 55 responded. Two even
>volunteered to answer questions and help anyone.
>To this day there is utter silence from the list.

Sounds normal.  On most lists, if not all, the 80-20 or 90-10 rule
describes the behavior.  Hey, even on here most of the talking is done by
less than 50 of the 500 or so on list.  It is just the way things are with
humans, in classrooms, discussion groups, etc., as well as in inventory in
your business.

It's up to you.....

have fun, and you will....

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534