"Warhurst, SI (Spencer)" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:31:41 +0100
> Make your archives private. Few spammers will bother
> cultivating addresses
> from the contents of a private archives collection.

Well, obviously, that would make it significantly harder for people to
harvest email addresses! However, it is up to the owner whether they make
their archives public or not and while we can remind them of the
implications of doing so, if there is anything else we can do which might
lessen the chance of the casual harvester being successful then it's
something we should look into. I am thinking along the lines of ways of
possibly identifying & blocking these programs that do the harvesting.

> Check hotmail's terms of service. I believe Microsoft sells
> its hotmail
> addresses to spammers until individual hotmail users opt out. I am not
> certain of this though so I refer you to the terms of service.

Not according to their Terms Of Use:

http://privacy.msn.co.uk/default.asp#MSNMAIL

<quote> Hotmail will not sell, lease or rent its member lists with any third
parties </quote>

However it does say that, by default, a Hotmail address will be listed in
the "Hotmail Directory and the Internet White Pages". I wonder how easy it
is to harvest from there!

Spencer