"Daniel P. Martin" <DMARTIN@UAFSYSB>
Fri, 29 Jan 88 11:37:45 CST

>We are currently running VM/SP HPO 5.0, the error occurred under CMS Rel 4
>and CMS Rel 5.0.
>
>Has anyone else had this happen lately? I am going to shut down the list
>when I leave today because I can't trust it. I will logon at midnight
>and early morning over the weekend to transmit any held files.
>
>Sorry for the network load,
>
>Jim Ennis

SMILE!!!  You're not alone....

I got bit by something very line this, but on a smaller scale
yesterday.  I fat-fingered a couple of keys while entering
a store password, and when I sent the file off to my LISTSERV I
got shelled by error messages and mail until I was able to force
LISTSERV and stop the panic.

Here's the scoop:

If you have APAR VM28372 on your HPO 5.0 system, the class D
CP TRANSFER command is semi-broken.  The syntax of the command is changed
such that TRANSFER RDR nnnn USERID RDR responds with

" DMKCSX042E User RDR spoolid nnnn does not exist ".

In order to make the transfer cmd work, you must instead use

"TRANSFER * RDR nnnn USERID RDR"

Clever, isn't it?  I just talked to the support center (Prob # 1X722)
and there are three possible solutions:

1) Remove VM28372 from your system.  This exposes you to a situation
   wherein you can not transfer files from a non-existent user's rdr.
   However, syntax for CP TRANSFER is restored.

2) Wait on resolution of APAR VM29275, currently open against this
   problem.

3) Change EVERY SINGLE TRANSFER COMMAND, EVERYWHERE, anywhere,
   yes, every single one in every single program to the above syntax
   if you want it to work for a class D user.

I always suspected that those people never test their fixes....

Disgruntled-ly yours,

Dan Martin / UAF

Disclaimer:  The opinions, if any, expressed above were just handed to
             me in a sealed envelope by a man I've never seen before, and
             couldn't POSSIBLY represent any position taken on any topic
             by the University of Arkansas....