"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 10:06:13 EST
On Tue, 29 Mar 1994 11:36:53 +0200 Herman Van Uytven said:
>Hello,
>
>I have been asked to make a comparision between Revised Listserv and
>the Unix mailing list managers.  Because there are too much of the latest,
>I will start only with Majordomo.
>
>Please mail me if you think I forgot something important, or if I missed
>something.
Thanks for starting such a list for discussion.  Its a natural part of
evaluation and progression.  I've added some below for consideration,
but without stating which packages satisfy

>Thanks in advance,
>-Herman-
>
>                               Listserv    |    Majordomo
Un/Subscribe for a user by an administrator
Confirmation(cookie)
Auto-expire(renewal)

>review of a list                   y       |     y
>on which lists am I subscribed ?   n       |     y (on the same site)
>logs of list                       y       |     y
>search these logs                  y       |     n
Search multiple logs
Search other tables

>file server functions (get a file) y       |     y   (only logs ?)
Access control of both get and put of files.
Packages
Ability for authorize user to give file to another.

>Automatic File Distribution        y       |     n
(Is FUI a separate issue?)
Auto-AFD when subscribed

>Overview of all lists (worldwide)  y       |     n
Automatic forwarding of subscribe/unsub/review/ etc

>distribute function (to reduce load) y     |     n
Peer lists

>remote management by list-owners   y       |     n
>worldwide unsubscribe              y       |     n
>digest format                      y       |     n
>security/privacy considerations    y       |     n
>automatic removal of non-existing  y (some)|     n
>users                                      |
Help

Other issues:
Hold a list
offline
serve off users
statistics
daily threshold
Notify owner on sub/unsub (but process)
Ability to honor/ignore Reply-to
Ability to force Reply-to to another address
Service area (limit subscriptions to a given
    node to institution)
Confidential lists
Ability to define local on a list basis
PW on a server basis, not list
Ability to tailor welcome message on a list basis,
  using info from list options
Ability for users to get or not get a copy of
  their own postings
Ability to user to control level of acknowledgement
  of posting from None to mail level acknowledgement
Interactive commands via NJE message
Interactive commands via MSP
Interactive commands via Telnet to a TCP/IP socket
Configure on a list basis default user options of
  Digest/Mail, Ack, Conceal.
Ability to be on list, but not on REVIEW of list.
Ability on a list basis control level of REVIEW. (Public, Private, Owner)
Ability on a list basis control level of posting
Ability on a list basis to allow certain list postings to be
  delayed to after Primetime(Primetime being define by site)
Ability to limit to maximum size of a posting, with owner
  getting a copy of the posting
Ability to gateway to newsgroups(bi-directional)
Editor
Loop checking
Duplicate post checking
Ability to treat different FQDN as equivalent names.

/ahw