CERN Eric Thomas <ERIC@CEARN>
Tue, 8 Sep 1987 11:02 GVA
1. The NCSUVM LISTSERV is 1.5i and does not support mixed case addresses.

2. It do not plan to uppercase both strings before comparing. Most comparisons
   are done by searching the userid@node  into a disk file, and neither EXECIO
   nor LSVFILER accept a "CASE U" option  on such searches, nor do I have time
   to waste on such  a mod to LSVFILER. Note that this is  a painful mod as it
   requires obtaining  a variable-sized buffer  into which the  current record
   can  be  upcased,  etc. You  have  to  make  a  choice, if  you  want  case
   sensitiveness, you will get pure, sheer undaunted case sensitiveness.

3. It is OUT  OF QUESTION not to uppercase the string if  ".uucp" can be found
   in it. Tomorrow you will ask  for ".mikado", then for ".unixsnet", etc. The
   next day you will say that if there  is a "!" sign in the userid, it should
   not be upcased. There  would be a bunch of places to  change besides, and I
   don't have time for this either.

If  these changes  were  at least  needed by  decent,  sensible people...  But
UNIX(*) fanatics!

  Eric

(*) UNIX is a tradecrap of the AT&T Ball Lavatories

PS: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily match those of my school,
    which hosts the central office of the french UNIX users association.