"Michael R. Gettes" <GETTES@PUCC>
Mon, 23 Oct 89 10:24:44 EDT
On Mon, 23 Oct 89 09:19:43 CDT David Boyes said:
>Another big step toward interoperability with the Internet would
>be a host requirements document similar to RFC 1123 that
>describes a number of required software systems and the
>specifications of such systems. I know that this appears on the
>surface to be somewhat fascist on the part of the NIC, but in the
>interest of interoperability something like this needs to be
>done.

I recommend discussion of this sort be moved to either NODMGT-L or
POLICY-L. I do not think that this is the proper forum for this
discussion (even though I agree in principal with what is said).

>(BTW, why not register .BIT.NET and use the MX scheme Michael
>Gettes described? It'd be a minimal change in semantics but bring
>us into closer conformance with the Internet folks. It *is*
>fudging .NET a bit...oh, well.)

Again, discussion should be on NODMGT-L or POLICY-L. FYI: .BIT.NET
will not be accepted by SRI-NIC as a valid domain. We have been
through all this already.

/mrg