Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:42:10 -0700
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:49:11 -0500, "Bramhall, Mark" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>This traffic is explained in the Site Manager Manual, Chap 5.6 and 5.7,
>>especially 5.6.3
>>  http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#_Toc9062348
>Stills does not seem to be the answer to me:
>
>1 -- My LISTSERV has received over 200 messages from cherry/peach since
>my original post this morning. That is extremely high traffic for any
>kind of site monitoring.

No this is normal 'backbone' traffic from all LISTSERV servers worldwide.
Mainly it is spam notifications.  I've checked my log files and they show
a similar amount, on a daily basis.

>2 -- The body of the received message appears to be MIME, but not MIME I
>recognize. Could someone help me understand it from the fragment below?
>
>//X-SPAM JOB Echo=NO
>X-B64 ID=X-SPAM.JOB ASCII CLASS=J
>//Data DD *
>ACYvL1NwYW1fQWxlcnQgSk9CIEVjaG89Tm8sUmVwbHktdG89Tm9uZQAJLy9UbyBE

This is Base64 encoded.  LISTSERV knows how to decode it.  As explained
in the manual, LISTSERV Lite receives, but ignores this information.
The commercial (non-free) version of LITE can be configured to ignore/not
receive this traffic, but the free version cannot.