Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 May 2000 15:24:29 -0600
On Fri, 5 May 2000 15:55:53 -0400 (EDT), a customer wrote:

>I've just grabbed HP-UX.tar.Z from your ftp site and installed.

You also MUST download common.tar.Z or your upgrade is NOT complete.

In the common.tar.Z are the Unix Installation Notes (which are also always on
our website at  http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/index.html)

+======================================+
| Upgrading your LISTSERV installation |   (Unix platforms)
+======================================+
Upgrading LISTSERV is almost as simple as installing it.  Simply follow these
steps:

1. First, be sure you have a LISTSERV 1.8d LAK installed.  1.8d will NOT run
with a 1.8c LAK.  Send LISTSERV a "SHOW LICENSE" command to ensure that the
correct LAK has been installed properly.

2. Back up the entire LISTSERV directory hierarchy (just in case).

3. Stop LISTSERV. If you have LISTSERV set up to respawn itself, be sure to
disable this and bring LISTSERV to a *complete* stop.

4. Get the current unix kit (or Lite kit, depending on your
installation) for your brand of unix from ftp.lsoft.com/unix.

BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD  common.tar.Z  AS WELL! YOUR UPGRADE IS **NOT** COMPLETE
WITHOUT THIS FILE!

This is very important as the common files also change from version to version.
LISTSERV-Lite installations ONLY do not need (and should not download) the
common.tar.Z file.

5. Per the installation instructions above, login as (or su) 'root',
uncompress and untar the file(s) into a scratch directory, and then edit
the Makefile so that it contains the correct values for your installation.
(see further comments in the Makefile itself.)

6. If your scratch directory is not already your current directory, CD into
your scratch directory. Touch all of the files you have just unarchived by
issuing 'touch *' and 'touch home/*'.  This is an important step as the
Makefile will not update any production files that are dated later than the
files you are trying to update them with.  Due to the way most unixes
implement 'cp' it is entirely possible to have older production files with
dates newer than the files you have downloaded to update them with.

7. Run the update stage of the Makefile by issuing the command 'make
update' . This will update all files (including the executables) that have
changed from the previous version. Please note that your local settings,
lists, archives, and so forth will be preserved.  If you have a compiler,
note that you should delete or rename the precompiled 'lsv' executable
before running 'make update' so that it can be relinked locally.

8. If you have the web archive interface installed, MANUALLY COPY the 'wa'
executable from the scratch directory to wherever your cgi-bin directory is to
update it. Currently the Makefile CANNOT do this for you because the location of
the cgi-bin directory is unpredictable and varies with every installation.

9. Restart LISTSERV and send the command SHOW LICENSE to make sure the
installation was successful.

>is there a test to ensure (or how can I be sure )  I have safeguarded my
>installation of listserv with your patch

If the output of the Build Date: value from the LISTSERV command SHOW LICENSE
is 3 MARCH 2000 or later,

AND the file date of the wa* executable is 2 MAY 2000 or later.

BOTH of the above conditions must be met.