Glen Overby <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 16:48:00 CDT
Una Smith writes:
> L. Detweiler <[log in to unmask]>, maintainer of the
> of Cryonics FAQ set, complained last month when his FAQ was bounced
> back to him from the SCIFAQ-L mailing list.  As I tried to explain to
> him then, the problem is not a simple one, nor is the solution easy.
> In particular, it is not a problem of installation or management of
> the mailing list or the LISTSERV software, but a deeper issue of mail
> header format standards.

Alternatively, the news-to-mail gateway could set a "Sender:" address
pointing to a gateway admin (probably /dev/null@gateway-host :-) who
would get subjected to listserv's rejections.  This could also be
pointed to the list admin.  LISTSERV will send it's rejection to the
Sender:, as required by RFC822 (won't it?).

Of course, the real solution is to quit gatewaying news to mailing
lists entirely.  But that would require too many people to _change_.

Glen Overby