Name Unknown <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:21:37 +0100
The 8 dot 3 filename creation is definitely turned off, and we are in the
process of switching this particular list over to weekly or monthly
archives. I believe that the reindexing getting hung led to other problems
with the system and eventually resulted in LSMTP being completely unable to
mail out to mailing lists. A problem we resolved by reinstalling LSMTP but
the real cause is still something of a mystery.
Thanks again for your help.
Duncan

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Brindle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 July 1999 14:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New installation of Listserv (non-backbone)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:38:05 +0100 Name Unknown said:
>Okay, thanks for the help on the advanced configuration.
>As for the memory usage it is the "lsv" process which is eating up to 50 or
>60 Mb of memory. It appears to be doing this when reindexing one particular
>archive. The archive in question is setup for a separate archive per
>posting, and there are 1800 or so archive files already present in that
>directory. If we changed this archive to monthly do you think that would
>help ?.

Possibly.  We don't really recommend using separate archives to begin
with unless there is a really pressing need for it.  Another thing you
may want to check is if you have 8-dot-3 filename creation turned off
in NT (see the NT install guide for details).  Under the NTFS file system
if you have more than a couple hundred files in a given directory, I/O
in that directory slows to a crawl unless 8-dot-3 names are disabled.

>help ?. In your message you said that the system reindexing lists everytime
>it receives a posting, is there anyway this can be changed to do all the
>reindexing say once per day.

No.

Nathan