Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:48:40 +1000

>On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:39:58 +1000, Michael Shannon
><[log in to unmask]>  said:>> Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas what's causing it and >how to fix it?>> The only common connection I can make between all the >messages I've seen>> like this is they were all sent using MS Exchange Internet >Mail Service.>> Could that be the culprit?  It's certainly got me stumped.>>This sounds almost like 'text/plain; format=flowed' as described in:>>RFC2646 The Text/Plain Format Parameter. R. Gellens. August 1999.>     (Format: TXT=29175 bytes) (Updates RFC2046) (Status: PROPOSED>     STANDARD)>>A number of implementations seem to botch the 'SHOULD be shorter than>80 characters' suggestion in section 4.1 of that RFC, resulting in very>long on-the-wire lines which are "flowed" into readability by >some MUAs.>>Would that explain your symptoms?>Here's a further update...After reading RFC2646 (thanks Vladis, that was spot-on!) I did some furthertesting and found that MS Exchange has trouble when it encounters commonreply symbols such as < and >.  It seems to have trouble deciding depth of
reply quoting and instead tries to create single lines 'on-the-wire'. The
workaround was to manually set a finite column width in the configuration.
That appears to have fixed it (for now....).

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.