Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:48:40 +1000
text/plain (20 lines)
>
>On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:39:58 +1000, Michael Shannon
><[log in to unmask]>  said:>> Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas what's causing it and >how to fix it?>> The only common connection I can make between all the >messages I've seen>> like this is they were all sent using MS Exchange Internet >Mail Service.>> Could that be the culprit?  It's certainly got me stumped.>>This sounds almost like 'text/plain; format=flowed' as described in:>>RFC2646 The Text/Plain Format Parameter. R. Gellens. August 1999.>     (Format: TXT=29175 bytes) (Updates RFC2046) (Status: PROPOSED>     STANDARD)>>A number of implementations seem to botch the 'SHOULD be shorter than>80 characters' suggestion in section 4.1 of that RFC, resulting in very>long on-the-wire lines which are "flowed" into readability by >some MUAs.>>Would that explain your symptoms?>Here's a further update...After reading RFC2646 (thanks Vladis, that was spot-on!) I did some furthertesting and found that MS Exchange has trouble when it encounters commonreply symbols such as < and >.  It seems to have trouble deciding depth of
reply quoting and instead tries to create single lines 'on-the-wire'. The
workaround was to manually set a finite column width in the configuration.
That appears to have fixed it (for now....).

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster
[log in to unmask]

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2