Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 6 Nov 1993 01:19:44 EST
On Fri, 5 Nov 1993 16:02:02 -0500 John F. Chandler said:
 ...text deleted...
> ...                                                              Are
>the numbers merely positional labels that automatically shift up or
>down if messages are manually inserted or deleted? ...

 That's what I thought, and the little experiment I just tried on the
 TEMP-L list on JHUVM seems to confirm it.  When I removed a monthly
 archive, subsequent "index" commands in LDBASE showed that the later
 messages were simply adjusted up to compensate for the deleted entries.
 I suspect that the NOTEBOOK's were editted between the time the index
 was sent to you and when you sent the LISTSERV job to fetch the notes.
 I don't imagine that happens all that often (at least on most lists).

 -jj