Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:06:45 -0500
At 10:01 2/6/2006 Monday, Bret Hilton wrote:
>One of my list owners is asking how to deal with the following LISTSERV error
>message. There appears to be some kind of safety feature in LISTSERV that is
>keeping legitimate replies from making it to the list. I looked at the
>'Loopcheck' keyword, but was scared away by the doomsday disclaimer and I'm not
>sure where else I should be looking.

This is a subscriber training issue.

They need to take a few moments to edit what they send: no one needs to re-read the body-of-text that contains the headers and footers of the previous email which they are reading again in the REPLY as a normal part of that email.

Further, 95+ % of the time, all that is need from the original is the SUBJECT: which typically has RE: as the first word of the REply.

Finally, many lists that I have operated also have SIZELIM= defined which also inhibits countless cascades of > > > > >

The responders one moment of judicious editting is multiplied many fold by not: wasting subscribers' time, bandwidth, server cycles, and archives' storage.

[That's my story and I'm sticking to it.]

/Pete Weiss