Eric Thomas -- TAMU account <ERIC@TAMVM1>
Tue, 19 Aug 86 19:28:24 CDT
  Aaaah, *that*  :-) Well, in fact  the difference-between-revised-and-mundane-
LISTSERV was intended  primarily as "advertisement" material, back  in the days
when there were  only two revised LISTSERVs in the  world (FRECP11 and TAMVM1).
The console logs showed that 95% of help/info commands came from system adminis
trators, and I  wanted the info file  to list the improvements  over the BITNIC
version. Now that revised LISTSERVs  have become quite common, this information
is no longer necessary; besides, a new  Joe user's first encounter with a LIST-
SERV machine  could well  be with a  FRECP11-type one (you  made a  good point,
Gary). However, the  information should be made available to  users who started
on a BITNIC-type LISTSERV and whose host has just migrated to revised LISTSERV.
So what I intend to do is to  move the "improvements" section at the end of the
memo, replace it with a general blurb  on the purpose and operation of LISTSERV
(similar to  NICSERVE's LSERV INFO2).  I also plan  on adding a  "changes since
last version" section at the end of the memo (something SHORT). I must also zap
the "please do not generate too much traffic on this server, FRECP11 is a dead-
end node,  etc." I would like  to keep the  keywords section, but perhaps  as a
separate file (this would  save me time when updating it --  it appears also in
LISTOWNR MEMO). The reason why the LISTSERV MEMO explanations sometimes sound a
bit technical is  that they were originally extracted or  paralleled from LIST-
OWNR MEMO,  before I completely rewrote  half of it (it=LISTOWNR).  I'll try to
fix this inconvenience when I have time ( :-( )...

  Eric

PS: I'm leaving Texas in about an hour,  so don't expect any reply before a few
    days.