Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 89 18:47:45 GMT
From:         Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Subject:      A proposal to avoid the LISTSERV split

This is  a quick  note written at  the end  of a  long day of  work to  try to
summarize the  private discussions and  resulting proposals I've had  over the
last few days.  First I'd like to  tell the BoD members  who're not interested
that they should complain to their Exec  until a DEAR-EXEC list is created, so
that I don't  have to waste the  time of 25 people  when I want to  reach 7 (I
refuse to make a private nickname for the Exec, this is not a solution).

I have accepted the idea that, since I am in conflict with the EARN management
rather than with  the EARN sites, I  could accept to provide  service and code
updates to selected EARN sites, provided that (1) this costs me an almost-zero
amount of time, and  (2) it is clear that the agreement is  between me and the
EARN site in  question, which is asking  for a FAVOUR of me  and not DEMANDING
something that is RIGHTFULLY due to it. This service would mean:

1. Automatic update  of the (non-copyrighted) PEERS NAMES and  LINKSWT FILE by
   yours truly,  for the selected  sites. This costs  me 30 seconds  per site,
   once and for all.

2. Provision  of (copyrighted)  code updates, including  release 1.6a  and any
   future release. This costs  nothing is point 1 is done. 1+2  = the sites in
   question can stay on the backbone.

3. Authorization  for the selected sites  to submit bug reports,  and ONLY bug
   reports, to me  (questions to be sent  to Turgut). This may  cost a nonzero
   amount of time, but  if there are bugs they must be  fixed and someone from
   BITNET will eventually  find them and report  them, so the cost  is in fact
   very small.  The development of the  software will still be  geared towards
   the needs of  BITNET whenever there is  a conflict of interests  (eg OSI vs
   TCP/IP).

The conditions under which I would provide this service are:

A. The sites will have to sign a paper which basically puts in writing the "de
   facto" conditions of  service that BITNET sites are getting  today, just so
   that there can be no misunderstanding and no legal threats.

B. There will  be no warranty of  any kind, no commitment  whatsoever from me.
   This service  can be discontinued at  any time without warning,  for all or
   only some sites, or  I can refuse to provide the service to  some site if I
   feel I have a reason to. That will be clearly written in the paper the site
   signs anyway.

C. It should be made clear that  sites which want to get maintenance from EARN
   through the contract  I signed with the EARN Association  can do so freely:
   the contract is valid forever, and nobody can prevent EARN from using it.

D. The service will be provided only as long as it costs me little or no extra
   time.

Now, clause D  means that I would  not accept any harassment of  any kind from
the BoD or Exec, no suggestion for signing new contracts, for getting paid for
this service  in exchange of making  commitments, no pressure of  any kind, no
theological public  debates about  the Good or  Evil of  uncontrolled software
maintenance, no  public exhortations  to provide service  to site  XYZ because
they are nice people and really mean "we're awfully sorry, we really are" when
they say "how dare you complain about  us", etc. It should be made very clear,
in particular,  that I will  not sign any  contract with the  EARN Association
which would allow  them to distribute, maintain or modify  the new versions of
LISTSERV through the central EARN support.  Actually if there is ANY contract,
it will be between myself and the sites in question.

Because of the previous paragraph, I would  like to hear the Exec's opinion on
the topic before I start anything.

  Eric