Brent Hetland <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Mar 2017 15:50:26 +0000
Thanks Valdis. I don't know how to state the business problem any other way than:

I want keep the list and its archives for now, but I don't want subscribers to be able to send mail to it or even see it if they log in to the ListServ web UI.

I guess based on the responses I've gotten, my request is an odd one, but I've worked with many systems for 20+ years and this type of request is available in most any system, WITHOUT having to change a bunch of configuration settings.  Simple examples:

- We use a Report Server to allow users to run reports and to schedule automatic reports to be sent to them. If I don't want a report to be run anymore, I just disable the report; a single checkbox... I don't have to change a bunch of configuration settings on the report...
- Or, user accounts in about any system I've ever worked in... I don't need to change a user's login or password policies or anything about their configuration setting to prevent them from logging into a system, I just have to disable their account... To get their account back "as-is" you just enable the account.

The bummer about changing a bunch of configuration settings is that if I want to allow users to see / send to the list again in the future, I have to then go back and change those settings again and if someone else is administering the list, they may not know what the original settings were. If there were an "Enabled" checkbox, all I'd have to do is check the box and everything would be configured just as it was before it was disabled.

Anyway, I have what I need so the thread can be closed. Thanks again!
Brent

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Valdis Kletnieks
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Disabling a List or making it Inactive

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 15:22:46 -0000, Brent Hetland said:

> By "Inactive or Disabled" I mean that I want to keep the list and
> archives and all of its configuration settings "as-is", I just don't
> want subscribers to be able to send mail to it or even see it if they
> log in to the ListServ web UI. To non-owners and non-admin, it should be as if the list no longer exists.
> Then later if I wanted subscribers to be able to use / see the list /
> post to it again, I'd "Activate or Enable" it.

What business problem are you trying to solve here?

Having said that, just renaming 'foobar.list' to 'foobar.list-save' will do most of what you want.  This will probably require sysadmin access to the server. If the list has web-accessible archives, you'll need to do similar with the archive directory.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: